Having travelled back home to France on 16th December, I was really struggling with what I was writing, and nothing I had started was inspiring me at all - a rare moment of terror that 'block' had finally found me. I needn't have worried - and if it has happened to you then you know not to worry because that is the worst thing to do. I turned to the kitchen. I'm a vegan, so I cook a lot for myself. A curry I thought.
Reaching up to the shelf to get the harissa paste, I was physically struck by a story that was ignited by the brand name of the paste I habitually use, and find easily here in France - Le Phare Du Cap Bon (a name I have always found intriguing and slightly romantic - authors!!).
Thus the story - The Adventures of Captain Du Bon Le Phare was born - and the fucker hasn't given me a moment of peace since!
It's a kind of steampunkish chronicle of an anti-hero - I can describe it no more accurately than that. The curry was fucking amazing.
I'd love to hear your tales of how stories/titles came to you - and if you're suffering from block, my advice is to -:
1. Don't panic
2. Start a new story (I have 12 manuscripts open at any one time)
3. Cook, eat and wash-up
4. Watch weird shit on Youtube
5. Walk the dog
6. Listen to some new music
7. Catch the latest episode of The Tonight Show, Ellen, or The Big Bang Theory
8. Try calling the Orange.fr call centre
10. Go shopping
11. Take a break and spend the afternoon with your French only speaking friends
12. Dig someone out of a ditch - you're welcome UPS cute delivery man
13. Contemplate why the cat shits next to the litter box
14. Have a cup of green tea
17. Listen to the CD you found in the glove box of the car
18. Watch a favourite movie, eat chocolate
19. Smoke a cigarette
20. Get a proper job
Happy 2016; may all of your dreams come true - but you know what? If you do the work, you get paid.